Thursday, March 16, 2006

Religious arrogance & judgement

12.19.13.2.8 2 Lamat 6 Cumhu
One of my friends called me last night for some moral support. She's pagan, like me, and works with a lot of Christians.
She had a bad day at work (who doesn't?) and started talking to one of her co-workers, whose only solution was for them to attend a Bible study together.
I don't understand Bible study, but that's just me. My friend was angry at what she termed the arrogance of Christians. She would never suggest her co-worker come to one of our rituals to calm down after a bad day.
I have another story. My friend who has cancer was in hospice for a while. While she was there, a Christian she knows came in and preached at her, saying if she didn't find Jesus right then and there she was going to hell. This person said this to her literally as she was dying. I find that so offensive I can't even put it into words. This friend is not a pagan, she's agnostic, btw.
My pagan friend was upset about something else. There's a guy she likes at work, and someone told her he likes her too. He likes her so much, he wants her to come to Church with him. She's horrified at this. Like me, she's vowed never to set foot in church again except for weddings and funerals.
However, we're both wrong.
I asked her, "If he was Jewish and wanted you to go to Temple, would you go?" She would. "If he was Buddist and wanted to take you to that temple, would you go?" In a heartbeat. But she won't go to church. And it's a form of prejudice. I see it clearly (doesn't mean I'd go to church with a new friend either), and I hope I made her see it.
We all try so hard to be non-judgemental. To be accepting of everyone, the way WE want to be accepted. Yet it seems like the more we focus on acceptance, the more we see the intolerance of others around us. The more we are quiet about our beliefs, the louder those around us preach.
And does any of it matter? Maybe we should go around shoving our pagan ideas into people's heads and suggesting they go to rituals instead of Bible study groups.
Today's Lamat, the self-indulgence day. Can I indulge myself by preaching my gospel to the Jesus lovers? Of course not. I wouldn't even if I could. I just get so tired.
Listen, our cars might look different on the outside, but it's the same engine under the hood. The same god. Give up the fighting. Give up the preaching and converting. Love the form of the god you've chosen and leave me alone.

No comments: