Saturday, March 25, 2006

a book review (of sorts)

If any of you have ever been to my regular website, Transformations by Obsidian Butterfly then you might know that I was doing book and movie reviews for a web site called darkfiction.org. Notice the lack of a link. I wrote a movie review last week, zipped it off to the webmaster, and it bounced. I went online to the site and it's gone. I don't know what happened, and the only email addresses I have for the guy who runs it (ran it) are darkfiction.org emails. I guess I'll never know what happened.

Anyway, last week I read a book and Kukulkan was in it. A modern book. It's called Wildcard by Rachel Lee. It's genre is that new breed of romantic suspense, where it's a suspenseful action tale but the two main characters fall in love and have lots of sex. I like them, what can I say? If you like Romantic Suspense and you liked the DaVinci Code , you'd probably like this book.

And you're wondering why the hell I'm posting a book review on a blog which is supposed to be about the Meso American sacred calendar and shamanic pursuits, right?

I'm getting to it.

This book buys into the now-tired theory that Mary Magdelene married Jesus and had his kids. It wasn't original when Dan Brown wrote his not-very-good novel (read Foucault's Pendulum for a much better treatment of the same theme) . The author manages to tie in the Templars (yawn) and Akhenaton to her conspiracy theory. And then she brings in Kukulkan (which she misspells throughout the book as "Kulkulcan"). I was excited at first. Not many modern novels talk about the old Meso gods, right? (Thus this posting.)

And then my excitement died. Of course I've heard the theories that K/Q was actually once of Jesus's disciples, if not the big guy himself, and dismissed them. This book's addition to that theory is that it was actually a grandson of Jesus and MM who was Kukulkan, Queztalcoatl, and Viracocha (Incan deity, similiar to K/Q). And in the book a priest is sent to find a mysterious original Mayan document, the "Codex of Kulkulcan" because it could destroy the Church. Blah blah blah. Bringing in the idea that the reason that the Mayans had crosses everywhere was because they were actually, secretly Christians.

Now I pause and blow out a deep breath. If you want to mark a spot so people notice it, you don't want to use just one stick. One stick doesn't stand out. You want to use TWO sticks. There are only so many ways you can fasten two sticks together. Parallel (which defeats the purpose of using two sticks), in an x, or in a t. Do the Christians really believe that no other culture figured out how to tie two sticks together at right angles?

I don't even know how to put into words how angry it makes me. #1, the first thing the Spanish did when they came over is declare all the natives heathens, suitable for excuting as heretics or killed in war or used as slaves. If they were in fact secret Christians, that's pretty bad for the Spanish, eh? But since I don't believe that, I'll move on.

Why can't the pre-Columbians have come up with aspects of civilization and religion ALL BY THEMSELVES without having the need to consult with Jesus, his disciples or his decendents? They built pyramids without going to Egypt. They tied sticks together at right angles without having attended the crucifixion of Jesus. Why do these people insist on sticking their long religious noses into every place on the planet?

Supposedly, this is the first of several books written around this conspiracy theory. I'm sure my mom will buy the other ones as they come out. If the "Kulkulcan Codex" appears again, I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments: